Place:


Newark  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Newark like this:

Newark upon Trent, mun. bor., market town, and par., Notts, 18½ miles NE. of Nottingham and 120 miles from London by rail - par., 2108 ac., pop. 14,083; bor., 1933 ac., pop. 14,018; 3 Banks, 2 news-papers. Market-day, Wednesday. Newark has ancient British and Roman associations. The castle, now an imposing ruin, is supposed to have been founded by Egbert, King of the West Saxons. ...


Here King John died in 1216. Three sieges were sustained by the town during the Civil War, and it was surrendered to the Scottish army in 1646. Newark is connected with the Trent navigation, and carries on an immense trade in malt and flour; its corn market is one of the largest in the kingdom. Ironfounding, brassfounding, brewing, and the mfr. of boilers and agricultural implements, are conspicuous industries. The town has long been known for the mfr. of a special plaster, which alone was used in the erection of the great International Exhibition. Newark returned 2 members to Parliament until 1885.

Newark through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Newark go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newark, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/764

Date accessed: 22nd September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newark ".