Place:


Long Bennington  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Long Bennington like this:

BENNINGTON (Long), a village and a parish in the district of Newark and county of Lincoln. The village stands on the river Witham, 3¾ miles W by S of Hougham r. station, and 8 NW by N of Grantham; consists of one long street; and has a post office under Grantham. The parish, inclusive of Bennington Grange, comprises 4,420 acres. ...


Real property, £8,142. Pop., 1,066. Houses, 255. The property is subdivided. Freestone and lime are worked. A Cistertian priory, with local endowment, was founded here, before 1175, by Ralph de Filgeriis; given to the Abbey of Savigney in Normandy; transferred, by Richard II., to the Carthusians of St Ann, near Coventry; conveyed by Henry V. to the priory of Mountgrace; and given, at the dissolution, to the dean and chapter of Westminster. Remains of a moat, which surrounded its farmhouse, are in Bennington Grange. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Foston, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £463.* Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is good; and there are two Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and charities £21.

Long Bennington through time

Long Bennington is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Long Bennington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Long Bennington, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11563

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Long Bennington ".