Place:


Sutton on Trent  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sutton on Trent like this:

SUTTON-UPON-TRENT, a village and a parish in Southwell district, Notts. The village stands 1½ mile N by E of Carlton r. station, and 8 N of Newark; was once a market-town; is a polling place; and has a post-office under Newark. The parish comprises 2,930 acres. Real property, £6,753. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1,262; in 1861, 1,147. Houses, 281. The manor belongs to the Right Hon. J. E. Denison. There are corn mills. The living. is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £280. Patron, Rev.Graystone. The church was repaired in 1848. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Wesleyans, a slightly endowed school, and charities £5.

Sutton on Trent through time

Sutton on Trent is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sutton on Trent itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sutton on Trent, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7780

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sutton on Trent ".