Place:


Navenby  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Navenby like this:

NAVENBY, a village and parish in the district and county of Lincoln. The village stands near Ermine-street, and near the Bourn and Lincoln railway, whichwas in course of formation in 1867, 2¾ miles E of the river Brant, and 9 S of Lincoln; is a polling-place for the parts of Kesteven; was formerly a market-town, with an ancient cross; and has a post-office under Grantham, a pleasure fair on the Thursday before Easter, and abusiness fair on 17 Oct. ...


The parish comprises 2, 110 acres. Real property, £5, 622; of which £20 are in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 1,057; in 1861, 1, 170. Houses, 241. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The area extends to the river Brant; and isdiversified by the South Cliff hills, which command an extensive view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £588.* Patron, Christ College, Cambridge. The church is partly early English, partly decorated; is large and handsome; and has a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a parochial school with £133 a year from endowment, and charities £68.

Navenby through time

Navenby is now part of North Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Navenby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Navenby, in North Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13329

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Navenby ".