Place:


Bassingham  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bassingham like this:

BASSINGHAM, a parish and a subdistrict, in the district of Newark and county of Lincoln. The parish lies on the river Witham, 3 miles S of Swinderby r. station, and 8½ NE of Newark; and has a post office‡ under Newark. Acres, 1,940. Real property, £6,395. Pop., 928. Houses, 191. ...


The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £483.* Patron, Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church was restored in 1861. There are two Methodist chapels, a national school, and charities £29.-The subdistrict contains nine parishes. Pop., 3,852.

Bassingham through time

Bassingham is now part of North Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bassingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bassingham, in North Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11516

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bassingham ".