Place:


St Neots Huntingdonshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described St Neots like this:

St Neot's, market town and par. with ry. sta., Huntingdonshire, on river Ouse, 8 miles SW. of Huntingdon and 52 N. of London - par., 4750 ac., pop. 3136; town (comprising parts of Eynesbury and St Neot's pars.), pop. 4261; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Thursday. At Eynesbury, which occupies the site of a Roman station, are the remains of a Benedictine monastery (974), which became connected with St Neot, the recluse, by the conveyance to it of his relics from Cornwall. St Neot's has a spacious market-place, a large iron foundry, and extensive papermills.

St Neots through time

A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing St Neots has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Huntingdonshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering St Neots and units named after it.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Neots in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/535

Date accessed: 26th November 2014


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "St Neots".