Place:


Great Paxton  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Paxton like this:

PAXTON (Great), a parish, with a village, in St. Neots district, Hunts; on the river Ouse and the Great Northern railway, 2 miles S S W of Offord r. station, and 3 N N E of St. Neots. Post-town, Buckden, under Huntingdon. Acres, 1, 120. Real property, £2,039. Pop., 411. Houses, 81. Paxton-Hill House is the seat of E. ...


Towgood, Esq. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacies of Little Paxton and Toseland, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £300.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £8.

Great Paxton through time

Great Paxton is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Paxton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Paxton in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7350

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Paxton ".