In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Lampeter like this:
Lampeter, market town and par. with ry. sta., Cardiganshire, on river Teifi, 13 miles SE. of Aberayron and 264 miles from London--par. (Lampeter Pont Stephen), 6204 ac., pop. 1897; town, 1669 ac., pop. 1443; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. A bridge here is supposed to have been built in the 12th century. The town was incorporated by Henry VI., and is the seat of St David's College, which has powers to graut the degrees of B.A. and B.D. Lampeter formed one of the Cardigan District of Parliamentary Boroughs, which returned 1 member until 1885.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lampeter has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ceredigion. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lampeter and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lampeter, in Ceredigion and Cardiganshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lampeter".