In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanafan like this:
LLANAFAN, a parish in Aberystwith district, Cardigan; on the river Ystwith, near a line of railway, which was in progress of formation in 1866,8 miles N of Tregaron, and 9 SE of Aberystwith. It contains the postoffice of Crosswood, under Aberystwith. Acres, 2,588. Real property, £1,241. Pop. in 1851,419; in 1861,567. Houses, 114. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of lead-mining. Crosswood Park, called by the Welsh Trawscoed, is the seat of the Earl of Lisburne, and has beautiful grounds. Part of the parish is wild moor and dreary common. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £88. Patron, T. P. B. Chichester, Esq. The church is ancient; and contains a screen, an octagonal font, and an ancient silver communmon disr.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Llanafan has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ceredigion. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Llanafan and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanafan, in Ceredigion and Cardiganshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Llanafan".