Place:


Llangeitho  Cardiganshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangeitho like this:

LLANGEITHO, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Tregaron district, Cardigan. The village stands on the river Ayron, under the hills, near the Sarn Helen way, 4 miles W of a reach of the Central Wales railway, which was in progress of formation in 1866, and 8½ N by E of Lampeter; and has a post office under Carmarthen. ...


The parish contains also the hamlet of Bonteyen. Acres, 2,150. Real property, £1,397. Pop., 453. Houses, 97. The property is much subdivided. Cwrt-Mawr, an old mansion, is now a farm-house. The living is a rec. tory in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £106. Pa. tron, the Bishop of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. Ceitho; was rebuilt in 1821; was reported in 1859 as then needing repair; and contains a monument to Rowland, once rector of the parish, and founder of the Rowlandites. There are a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, and charities £50.

Llangeitho through time

Llangeitho is now part of Ceredigion district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ceredigion has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llangeitho itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangeitho, in Ceredigion and Cardiganshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6384

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llangeitho ".