Place:


Worksop  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Worksop like this:

Worksop, market town and par., Notts, on river Ryton, near the N. extremity of Sherwood Forest, 18 miles SE. of Sheffield and 147 N. of London by rail-par., 18,220 ac., pop. 11,625; town, pop. 10,588; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day, Wednesday. Worksop has an extensive trade in malt and timber, and mfrs. ...


of agricultural implements, railway sleepers, and Windsor chairs. It was known at the Conquest as Wirchesop. Castle Hill marks the site of a Norman stronghold. The beautiful Norman church was originally the church of an Augustinian priory, which has left considerable remains. Worksop Manor (18th century), formerly the property of the Duke of Norfolk, now belongs to the Duke of Newcastle; the original mansion, built by the first Earl of Shrewsbury in the reign of Henry V., was for some time the prison of Mary Queen of Scots. From the number of mansions and parks in the neighbourhood (Clumber Park, Work-sop Manor, Welbeck Abbey, Thoresby Park, Osberton Hall, &c.), the district has been designated the "Dukery".

Worksop through time

Worksop is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Worksop itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Worksop, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/217

Date accessed: 20th September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Worksop ".