Place:


Barlborough  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barlborough like this:

BARLBOROUGH, a parish in the district of Work sop and county of Derby; near the Chesterfield canal, 2 miles E of Eckington r. station, and 8 NE of Chesterfield. It has a post office under Chesterfield. Acres, 3,220. Real property, £7,029; of which £1,738 are in mines. Pop., 1,170. Houses, 231. ...


The property is divided among a few. Barlborough Hall, an edifice in the Tudor style, is the seat of W. H. de Rodes, Esq. Coal and iron stone are worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £750.* Patron, W. H. de Rodes, Esq. The church was repaired in 1859. Au almshouse, founded in 1752, has £69, and other charities £13.

Barlborough through time

Barlborough is now part of Bolsover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bolsover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barlborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barlborough, in Bolsover and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5086

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barlborough ".