Place:


Clowne  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clowne like this:

CLOWN, a parish in the district of Worksop and county of Derby; 3½ miles E by N of Stavcley r. station, and 8 ENE of Chesterfield. It has a post office under Chesterfield. Acres, 1,860. Real property, £3, 238. Pop., 704. Houses, 156. The property is much sub-divided. Limestone is quarried. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £311.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church has Norman portions and is good. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and United Free Methodists. A school has £17 from endowment; and other charities £12.

Clowne through time

Clowne is now part of Bolsover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bolsover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clowne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clowne, in Bolsover and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5705

Date accessed: 23rd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clowne ".