Place:


Elmton  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elmton like this:

ELMTON-WITH-CRESSWELL, a parish in the district of Worksop, and county of Derby; on the NE verge of the county, 5 miles E by S of Staveley r. station, and 8 ENE of Chesterfield. Post town, Clown, under Chesterfield. Acres, 2, 970. Real property, £4, 421. Pop., 469. Houses, 91. The property is divided among a few. Limestone is found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £120. Patron, the Duke of Portland. The church is good. Buxton, the calculating day-labourer, was a native.

Elmton through time

Elmton is now part of Bolsover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bolsover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elmton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elmton, in Bolsover and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5209

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elmton ".