Place:


East Retford  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described East Retford like this:

Retford (or East Retford), mun. bor., market town, and par., Notts, on E. bank of river Idle and on Chesterfield Canal, 18½ miles NW. of Newark and 139 from London by rail - par., 288 ac., pop. 3414; bor., 4532 ac., pop. 9748; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Saturday. ...


East Retford is a well-built town, with a spacious market place in the centre, a handsome town hall, a corn exchange, and a grammar school. It carries on a considerable trade in horses, cattle, cheese, and hops. The industrial establishments include iron foundries and papermills. East Retford (the parliamentary limits of which were extended in 1832 so as to include the entire wapentake of Basset-law) continuously sent 2 members to Parliament from 1571 until 1885.

East Retford through time

East Retford is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Retford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Retford, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/627

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Retford ".