Place:


Bassetlaw  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bassetlaw like this:

BASSETLAW, a wapentake in the N of Notts. It includes East Retford borough and fifty-four parishes; and is cut into the divisions of Hatfield, North Clay, and South Clay. Acres of Hatfield div., 116,806. Pop. in 1851, 24,621; in 1861, 26,093. Houses, 5,658. Acres of North Clay div., 45,714. Pop. in 1851, 10,367; in 1861, 10,183. Houses, 2,290. Acres of South Clay div., 40,314. Pop. in 1851, 8,806; in 1861, 8,072. Houses, 1,766.

Bassetlaw through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Bassetlaw go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bassetlaw in Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17198

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bassetlaw ".