Place:


Mattersey  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mattersey like this:

MATTERSEY, a village and a parish in East Retford district, Notts. The village stands on the river Idle, 2 miles E of Ranskill r. station, and 3½ SE of Bawtry; was once a market-town; and has a post office under Bawtry. The parish contains also the hamlet of Thorpe, or Mattersey-Thorpe, 1 mile NW of the village. ...


Acres, 2,210. Real property, £3,828. Pop., 436. Houses, 107. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to the Maresays; was given, before 1192, to a Gilbertine priory, then founded on it; passed to the Nevilles, the Hickmans, and others; and belongs now to the Duke of Portland. Remains of the priory still stand, about a mile from the village. Blaco Hill, about a mile SE of the village, is 118 feet high. There are sand pits. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Valne, £260.* Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church has an embattled tower; and contains a curious carving, found in 1804, and supposed to have belonged to the priory. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a slightly endowed school.

Mattersey through time

Mattersey is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mattersey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mattersey, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7559

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mattersey ".