Place:


Tuxford  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tuxford like this:

TUXFORD, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in East Retford district, Notts. The village stands ¾ of a mile W of the Great Northern railway, and 7 S by E of East Retford; was greatly devastated by a fire in 1702, and mainly rebuilt afterwards; carries on malting, nail-making, and brick-making; and has a post-office‡ under Newark, a r. ...


station with telegraph, a banking office, an ancient church in good repair, a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £49 a year, a national school, charities £60, a weekly market on Monday, and fairs on 12 May and 2 Oct. The parish comprises 3,000 acres. Real property, £5,934; of which £70 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 1,211; in 1861, 1,034. Houses, 243. The manor belongs to the Duke of Newcastle. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £260.* Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge.—The sub-district contains 16 parishes and a part. Acres, 25,039. Pop., 4,998. Houses, 1,116.

Tuxford through time

Tuxford is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tuxford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tuxford, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7802

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tuxford ".