Place:


Elksley  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elksley like this:

ELKSLEY, a parish in East Retford district, Notts; on the river Poulter, 4½ miles SSW of Retford r. station. It has a post office under Retford. Acres, 2, 500. Real property, £2, 661. Pop., 362. Houses, 73. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £125. Patron, the Duke of Newcastle. The church is ancient and good; and has a tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Elksley through time

Elksley is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elksley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elksley, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7375

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elksley ".