In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitchurch like this:
WHITCHURCH, a parish in Cardiff district, Glamorgan; on the river Taff, 1 mile NNW of Llandaff r. station. It has a post-office under Cardiff. Acres, 3,192. Real property, £6,409. Pop. in 1851, 1,661; in 1861, 2,274. Houses, 470. The increase of pop. arose from extension of tin and iron manufacture. Velindre and Greenmeadow are chief residences. There are a barrow and a Roman camp. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of L. The church is good; and there are three dissenting chapels.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Whitchurch has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Cardiff. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Whitchurch and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitchurch, in Cardiff and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Whitchurch".