Place:


Peterston super Ely  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Peterston super Ely like this:

PETERSTONE-SUPER-ELY, a parish in Cardiff district, Glamorgan; on the river Ely and on the South Wales railway, at Peterstone r. station, 6¾ miles W of Cardiff. It has a post-office, of the name of Peterstone, under Cardiff. Acres, 2,010. Real property, £2, 176. Pop., 235. Houses, 47. ...


The property is divided among a few. Remains exist of a castle of Fitzhamon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £228. Patrons, Col. Wood and the Representatives of the late Sir T. D. Aubrey. The church was reported in 1859 as very bad. There is an Independent chapel.

Peterston super Ely through time

Peterston super Ely is now part of The Vale of Glamorgan district. Click here for graphs and data of how The Vale of Glamorgan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Peterston super Ely itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Peterston super Ely in The Vale of Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8497

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Peterston super Ely ".