Place:


St Mellons  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Mellons like this:

MELLONS (ST.), a village and a parish in the district of Cardiff and county of Monmouth. The village stands near the river Romney at the boundary with Glamorgan, 2½ miles W by S of Marshfield r. station, and 4¼ NE by N of Cardiff; and has a post office under Cardiff. The parish comprises 2,574 acres. ...


Real property, £4,346. Pop., 688. Houses, 137. The property is much divided. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicar.age of Llanedarn, in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £160.* Patron, alternately the Bishop of Llandaff and the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff. The church is ancient but good. Charities, £15.

St Mellons through time

St Mellons is now part of Cardiff district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cardiff has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Mellons itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Mellons, in Cardiff and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8799

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Mellons ".