In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Chichester like this:
Chichester, mun. bor. and city, Sussex, 1½ mile NE. of head of Chichester harbour, 28 miles W. of Brighton and 66 miles SW. of London by rail, 772 ac., pop. 8114; 3 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. C. is a city of remote antiquity, pleasantly situated close to the South Devon Hills. In the days of the Romans it was called Regnum, and was the headquarters of Vespasian. The materials used in the construction of the walls during the reigns of Edward III., Richard II., and Henry VI. ...
were taken from the ancient Roman wall; about 1½ mile of the walls still exists, forming a promenade. The Cathedral (founded 1078) is a splendid Gothic structure, and contains some beautiful examples of sculpture and portraiture, as well as some very curious monuments. The trade of C. is chiefly in coal, timber, corn, flour, and malt, and there are extensive corn and cattle markets. Chichester returned 1 member to Parliament until 1885.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chichester has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chichester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chichester and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chichester in Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chichester".