Place:


Oving  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oving like this:

OVING, a village and a parish in Westhampnett district, Sussex. The village stands near the South Coast railway, ¾ of a mile N E by E of Drayton r. station, and 2½ E of Chichester; and has a post-office under Chichester. The parish contains the tythings of Colworth and Portfield, and comprises 2, 946 acres. ...


Real property, £7, 472. Pop. in 1851, 876; in 1861, 949. Houses, 206. Shopwyke House, a beautiful mansion, belongs to the Rev. G. H. Woods. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £352.* Patron, the Bishop of Chichester. The church is early English; was restored in 1841; and consists of nave and transepts, with E tower and spire.

Oving through time

Oving is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oving itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oving, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8876

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oving ".