Place:


East Wittering  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Wittering like this:

WITTERING (East), a parish in Westhampnett district, Sussex; on the coast, 5 miles S of Bosham r. station, and 6 SW of Chichester. Post town, West Wittering, under Chichester. Acres, 1,505; of which 310 are water. Real property, £2,257. Pop., 223. Houses, 46. The property is divided among a few. Much land has been carried away by the sea. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £190.* Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is good.

East Wittering through time

East Wittering is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Wittering itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Wittering, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9066

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Wittering ".