Place:


Lavant  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lavant like this:

LAVANT (EAST), a village and a parish in Westhampnett district, Sussex. The village stands near the Lavant rivulet, near Goodwood Park, and adjacent to the Chichester and Haslemere railway, 2 miles N of Chichester; and is a pleasant place.—The parish includes also West Lavant tything; and its post town is Mid-Lavant, under Chichester. ...


Acres, 2, 884. Real property, £3, 182. Pop., 421. Houses, 87. The manor was known at Domesday as Loventone, and belonged to the Bishop of Exeter; it passed at some time to the Archbishops of Canterbury, and at a subsequent time to the Crown; it was given, in 1560, by Queen Elizabeth, to Sir Richard Baker; and it went, by sale, in 1775, to the third Duke of Richmond. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £410.* Patron, Lord Willoughby de Broke. The church is Norman, in good condition. There is a national school; and there is also a share in the free school and alms houses of Boxgrove.

Lavant through time

Lavant is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lavant itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lavant, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9328

Date accessed: 16th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lavant ".