Place:


Birdham  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Birdham like this:

BIRDHAM, a parish in Westhampnett district, Sussex; on Chichester harbour, and on the Arundel and Portsmouth canal, 4 miles SW of Chichester r. station. It has a post office under Chichester. Acres, 1,948; of which 140 are water. Real property, £3,762. Pop., 436. Houses, 99. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £396.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chichester. The church is good; and there is a national school.

Birdham through time

Birdham is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Birdham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Birdham, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8254

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Birdham ".