Place:


Sidlesham  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sidlesham like this:

SIDLESHAM, a village and a parish in Westhampnett district, Sussex. The village stands near the head of Pagham harbour, and 3½ miles S of Chichester r. station; and has a post-office‡ under Chichester. The parish includes part of Almodington tything, and comprises 4,109 acres. Real property, £8,297. ...


Pop., 960. Houses, 209. The property is much divided. There are a wharf, at which a considerable coasting-trade is carried on, and a tidal mill, capable of grinding 2 loads of wheat per hour. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £182. Patron, the Bishop ofThe church is early English and good. There are a parochial school, and charities £129.

Sidlesham through time

Sidlesham is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sidlesham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sidlesham, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9013

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sidlesham ".