In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pimperne like this:
PIMPERNE, a parish and a hundred in Dorset. The parish lies 2¼ miles N E by N of Blandford r. station, has a post-office under Bland ford, and is in Blandford district. Acres, 4, 510. Real property, £7, 878. Pop., 495. Houses, 104. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Portman. A mazecovering an acre was here, and was destroyed in 1730. The N tract is occupied by Pimperne down. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £487.* Patron, Lord Portman. The church is partly Norman and all good; and contains an old font and a brass of1688. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a free school. Christopher Pitt, the translator of the Æneid, was rector. The hundred contains seventeen parishes; and ischiefly in Blandford division, but partly in Sturminsterdiv. Acres, 24, 698. Pop. in 1851, 5, 808. Houses, 1, 126.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Pimperne has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Pimperne and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pimperne in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pimperne".