In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Iwerne Courtney like this:
IWERNE-COURTNAY, a village and a parish in Blandford district, Dorset. The village stands on the Iwerne rivulet, under Hambleton hill, 2½ miles ENE of Shillingstone r. station, and 4½ NW of Blandford Forum; and has a post office under Blandford. The parish includes also Farringdon chapelry and Ranston tything; and bears also the alternative name of Shroton. Acres, 1, 953. Real property, £2, 612. Pop., 620. Houses, 129. The manor belonged formerly to the Courtenays, and belongs now to Lord Rivers. ...
Ranston House is a chief residence. Hambleton hill is crowned by an extensive ancient camp, either Roman or Danish, with two ramparts and ditches, and with outworks. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Farringdon, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £372.* Patron, Lord Rivers. The church was rebuilt in 1610, and has an an cient tower. There is an endowed school, with £20 a year.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Iwerne Courtney has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Iwerne Courtney and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Iwerne Courtney in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 17th September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Iwerne Courtney".