In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stourpaine like this:
STOURPAINE, a parish, with a village, and with Ashe tything, in Blandford district, Dorset; on the river Stour and on the Dorset and Somerset railway, 3 miles NNW of Blandford. It has a post-office under Blandford. Acres, 2,305. Real property, 1,913. Pop., 658. Houses, 139. The property is divided among a few. A Roman camp is on Hod Hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £130.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of S. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stourpaine has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stourpaine and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stourpaine in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 03rd July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stourpaine".