In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Iwerne Minster like this:
IWERNE-MINSTER, a village and a parish in Shaftesbury district, Dorset. The village stands near the head of the rivulet Iwerne, 3½ miles NE of Shillingstone r. station, and 5½ NW by N of Blandford-Forum; and has a post office‡ under Blandford. The parish comprises 2, 984 acres. Rated property, £4, 634. Pop., 712. Houses, 159. The property is divided among a few. Iwerne House is the seat of the Bowers. Iwerne down lies on the N. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £306.* Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is partly Norman; and has nave, aisles, and chancel, with a spire 162 feet high. There are a Baptist chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Iwerne Minster has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Iwerne Minster and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Iwerne Minster in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Iwerne Minster".