Place:


Skirbeck  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Skirbeck like this:

SKIRBECK, a suburb, a parish, and a wapentake, in Lincoln. The suburb adjoins the SE side of Boston; consists of S. on the left bank of the river Witham, and S.-Quarter on the right bank; and has a post-office under Boston. The parish nearly surrounds Boston town; is in Boston district; includes a fen allotment; and, excepting that allotment, is all in Boston par. ...


borough. Acres, 2,630. Real property, £19,579. Pop. in 1851, 2,429; in 1861, 2,878. Houses, 638. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £737.* Patron, Mrs. A.Roy. The parochial church stands about a mile from the town; is ancient; and has a well-proportioned later English tower. Trinity chapel of ease stands on the Spilsby road, and was built in 1848. There are three national schools, an ancient hospital with £35 a year for bedesmen, alms houses with £24, and other charities with £27.-The wapentake excludes part of S. parish, but includes 7 other parishes; and is in the parts of Holland. Acres, 51,985. Pop. in 1851, 9,484; in 1861, 7,327. Houses, 1,478.

Skirbeck through time

Skirbeck is now part of Boston district. Click here for graphs and data of how Boston has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Skirbeck itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Skirbeck, in Boston and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13575

Date accessed: 07th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Skirbeck ".