Place:


Leverton  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leverton like this:

LEVERTON, a village and a parish in Boston district, Lincoln. The village stands 2¼ miles from the coast, 3¼ SE of Sibsey r. station, and 5¾ NE of Boston; and has a post office under Boston. The parish contains also the hamlet of Outgate, includes a fen allotment, and extends to the coast. ...


Acres, 7,100; of which 3,710 are water. Real property, £7,936. Pop., 770. Houses, 148. Pop. of the fen allotment, 12. Houses, 5. The property is much subdivided. The New Hall is the seat of J. W. Dawson, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £850. * Patron, alternately the Lord Chancellor and A. Booth, Esq. The church is partly late decorated English, partly perpendicular; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains three canopied sedilia, a double row of chancel stalls, and an octagonal font. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £180.

Leverton through time

Leverton is now part of Boston district. Click here for graphs and data of how Boston has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leverton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leverton, in Boston and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12798

Date accessed: 24th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leverton ".