Place:


Fishtoft  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fishtoft like this:

FISHTOFT, a parish in Boston district, Lincoln; between the river Witham and Boston deeps, and near the East Lincoln railway, 3 miles SE of Boston. It has a post office under Boston; and it includes a fen allotment. Acres, 6, 425; of which 1,845 are water. Real property, £8, 020. Pop. of the fen allotment, 149. ...


Houses, 31. Pop. of the entire parish, 586. Houses, 133. The property is much subdivided. An ancient manor-house of Lord Monteville, described by Leland, as "goodly and great, " stood here; but was all in when Leland wrote. A considerable creek once ran up, near the out-fall of the present Hobhole sluice, towards the church; and is supposed to have afforded great facilities for fishing, and to have given rise to the name Fishtoft. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £700.* Patron, W. Hopkinson, Esq. The church has traces of early English, but is mainly later English; was restored in 1856; and contains a chancel-screen of open work and an octagonal font. An endowed school has £23; and other charities have £66.

Fishtoft through time

Fishtoft is now part of Boston district. Click here for graphs and data of how Boston has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fishtoft itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fishtoft, in Boston and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12226

Date accessed: 21st June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Fishtoft".