Place:


Old Leake  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Old Leake like this:

LEAKE, a parish in Boston district, Lincoln; on the East Lincoln railway, the Hobhole drain, and the coast, 7 miles NE of Boston. It contains Old Leake r. station and New Leake village, and has a post office under Boston. Acres, 7, 655; of which 1, 775 are fen. Real property, £15, 312. Pop. ...


in 1811, 922; in 1851, 2, 062; in 1861, 1, 912. Houses, 376. The increase of pop. from 1811 to 1851 arose chiefly from the enclosure of 1, 537 acres in the East Fen. The property is much subdivided, but is largely held by four. Moat House, about 1½ mile E of the church, occupies the site of an ancient chantry; was rebuilt, in 1835, by the Hon.B. Percy; and contains wainscotted rooms, and some curious carving. Derby Hall, at a short distance, is a large ancient mansion. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £200. * Patrons, the Governors of Oakham and Uppingham schools. The church has a clerestoried nave, partly later English, but chiefly decorated, and a tower built in 1490-1547; and contains three sedilia, an octagonal font, and an alabaster effigies of a knight. There are two Wesleyan chapels, a Primitive Methodist chapel, a British school, and charities £150.

Old Leake through time

Old Leake is now part of Boston district. Click here for graphs and data of how Boston has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Old Leake itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Old Leake, in Boston and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12792

Date accessed: 24th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Old Leake".