Place:


Sibsey  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sibsey like this:

SIBSEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Boston district, Lincoln. The village stands adjacent to the East Lincoln railway, 5 miles NNE of Boston and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Boston. The parish contains also Frithbank hamlet, and comprises 5,460 acres. Real property, 11,920. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1,390; in 1861, 1,297. Houses, 277. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £315.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was restored, and partly rebuilt, in 1856. There are a Wesleyan chape1, an endowed school with £97 a year, and charities £42.—The sub-district contains six parishes, an extra-parochial tract, and five fen allotments. Pop., 3,259. Houses, 597.

Sibsey through time

Sibsey is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sibsey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sibsey, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13565

Date accessed: 25th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sibsey ".