Place:


Eaton Socon  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eaton Socon like this:

EATON-SOCON, a parish in the district of St. Neots and county of Bedford; at the verge of the county, on the river Ouse and the Great Northern railway, 1 ½ mile SW of St. Neots. It contains Wyboston and the St. Neots workhouse; and has a post office under St. Neots. Acres, 7, 530. Real property, £13, 899. ...


Pop., 2, 766. Houses, 583. The property is much subdivided. A castle of the Beauchamps formerly stood here; and an Angustinian priory was founded by two of them, in the time of Henry II., at Bushmead, 4¼ miles W of St. Neots. The priory was given, in 1537, to Sir William Gascoyne; and only the refectory of it now exists; but a mansion bears its name, and is the seat of the Gerys. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £439.* Patron, J. G. Atkinson, Esq. The church is Norman, and has a fine tower. There are a national school, and charities £20.

Eaton Socon through time

Eaton Socon is now part of Bedford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bedford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eaton Socon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eaton Socon, in Bedford and Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6090

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eaton Socon ".