Place:


Roxton  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Roxton like this:

ROXTON, a village and a parish in the district and county of Bedford. The village stands near the river Ouse, 2½ miles N W of Tempsford r. station, and 4½ S S W of St. Neots; and has a post-office under St. Neots. The parish contains also the hamlets of Chawson and Colesdon. Acres, 2, 880. ...


Real property, £5,095. Pop., 688. Houses, 146. The manor belongs to the Rev. R. Delap The manor-house is an ancient moated edifice, and is now a farm-house. R. House is the seat of T. Cranfield, Esq. The living is a vicarage, united with Great Barford, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £288.* Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is ancient, and contains an altar-tomb of 1439. There are an Independent chapel and a national school.

Roxton through time

Roxton is now part of Bedford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bedford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Roxton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Roxton, in Bedford and Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3569

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Roxton ".