Place:


Bedford  Bedfordshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Bedford like this:

Bedford.-- co. town of Bedfordshire, parl. and mun. bor., situated in a fertile dist., on both sides of river Ouse, crossed by a bridge of 5 arches, and on main line of Midland Ry., 49¾ miles NW. of London, 2127 ac., pop. 19,533; 2 Banks, 4 newspapers. Market-days, Monday and Saturday. ...


It has important mfrs. of agricultural implements, straw-plait, and lace. It is also eminent as an educational centre. Among its endowments is a free grammar school, founded in 1561 by Sir W. Harpur, in connection with which 2 high schools for girls were opened in 1882; the annual income from this endowment, originally #40, is now upwards of £13,000. There is also the Bedford County School, a handsome new building, with accommodation for 300 boarders. John Bunyan (1628-88), author of the "Pilgrim's Progress", born at Elstow, in the vicinity, was imprisoned for twelve years in Bedford Gaol. The town returns 1 member to Parl.

Bedford through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Bedford has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Bedford go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bedford in Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/594

Date accessed: 19th July 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bedford ".