Place:


Brampton  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brampton like this:

BRAMPTON, a parish in the district and county of Huntingdon; on the river Ouse, near the Great Northern railway, 1½ mile WSW of Huntingdon. It has a post office under Huntingdon. Acres, 2,411. Real property, £7,447. Pop., 1,270. Houses, 277. The property is divided among a few. Brampton Park belonged to Sir John Barnard, who sat in the parliament which restored Charles II.; was the birthplace of Samuel Pepys, secretary to the admiralty under Charles II. ...


and James II.; and became the seat of Lady O. B. Sparrow. The mansion was mostly rebuilt in 1820; and contains some fine family paintings. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £160.* Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is later English, in very good condition; and has a monument to Sir John Barnard. Charities, £16.

Brampton through time

Brampton is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brampton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brampton in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7154

Date accessed: 16th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brampton ".