Place:


Clapham  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clapham like this:

CLAPHAM, a parish in the district and county of Bedford; on the river Ouse, and on the Hitchin and Leicester railway, near Oakley r. station, 2¼ miles NNW of Bedford. It has a post office under Bedford. Acres. 1, 982. Real property, £3, 358. Pop., 502. Houses, 129. The property is much subdivided. ...


Clapham Park is the seat of Earl Ashburnham; and was the place of Dr. Hammond's imprisonment in 1648. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £270. Patron, Lord John Thynne. The church has an early Norman tower, and was mainly rebuilt in 1861. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £50.

Clapham through time

Clapham is now part of Bedford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bedford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clapham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clapham, in Bedford and Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3551

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clapham ".