In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hornchurch like this:
HORNCHURCH, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in Romford district, Essex. The village stands between the rivers Rom and Ingerbourn, 2 miles SE of Romford r. station; and has a post office ‡ under Romford, London E.The parish contains also the hamlet of Havering-Well, extends to the Thames, and comprises 6, 659 acres of land and 140 of water. ...
Real property, £19, 005. Pop., 2, 227. Houses, 470. The property is much subdivided; but most of the land belongs to New College, Oxford. Hornchurch Hall, Great Nelmes, Harrow Lodge, Ardley Lodge, Fair Kytes, Langtons, and Britons are chief residences. A priory, subordinate to the hospital of Monte Jovis, was founded here in the time of Henry II.; passed, by purchase, to William of Wykeham; and was given by him to New College, Oxford. Malting, brewing, iron founding, agriculturalimplement making, and the making of bricks, tiles, and drain pipes, are carried on. A custom of wrestling for a boar's head on Christmas-day arose out of a charter granted by Henry II., and is still observed. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £740.* Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is ancient; consists of nave, chancel, aisles, and porches, with turreted tower, and a neat spire 170 feet high; and contains some old brass inscriptions. Charities, £92 and two suites of alms houses.The sub-district contains also five other parishes. Acres, 19, 722. Pop., 6, 228. Houses, 1, 255.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hornchurch, in Havering and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hornchurch ".