Place:


West Thurrock  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Thurrock like this:

THURROCK (West), a parish in Orsett district, Essex; on the Thames, 1¼ mile W by S of Grays r .station. It includes Purfleet; and it has a post-office under Romford. Acres, 3,607; of which 700 are water. Real property, £6,131. Pop. in 1851, 835; in 1861, 1,039. Houses, 122. The increase of pop. arose partly from augmentation of the Ordnance establishment at Purfleet. The property is not much divided. Much of the land is marsh. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £306.* Patron, S. Whitbread, Esq. The church is Saxon or Early Norman.

West Thurrock through time

West Thurrock is now part of Thurrock district. Click here for graphs and data of how Thurrock has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Thurrock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Thurrock, in Thurrock and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6939

Date accessed: 22nd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Thurrock ".