Place:


Havering  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Havering like this:

HAVERING-ATTE-BOWER, a village, a parish, and a liberty, in Romford district, Essex. The village stands near Hainault forest, 3½ miles N by E of Romford r. station; was formerly a borough; and has a post office, of the name of Havering, under Romford, London E. The parish comprises 4, 290 acres. ...


Real property, £3, 844. Pop., 429. Houses, 89. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Saxon kings; was a favourite retreat of Edward the Confessor; and had a royal palace, some remains of which still exist. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £75.* Patron, W. P. Barnes, Esq. The church is supposed to have been the chapel of the royal palace; was restored in 1836; and contains a very ancient font, and a monument, by Wyatt, to Sir J. Burgess, Bait., and some new splendid tablets. There is an endowed school, with £10 a year.-The liberty contains also the parishes of Romford and Hornchurch. Acres, 15, 972. Pop. in 1851, 8, 669; in 1861, 9, 260. Houses, 1,829.

Havering through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Havering has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Havering go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Havering in Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1349

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Havering ".