Place:


Upminster  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upminster like this:

UPMINSTER, a parish, with a village and two hamlets, in Romford district, Essex; 3¼ miles E of Romford r. station. It has a post-office under Romford. Acres, 3,373. Real property, £8,225. Pop. in 1851, 1,228; in 1861, 1,342. Houses, 263. The property is subdivided; and there are some good residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £960.* Patron, the Rev. H. A. Holden. The church was recently rebuilt. There are an Independent chapel and British and national schools. Derham, the author of "Physico-Theology," was rector.

Upminster through time

Upminster is now part of Havering district. Click here for graphs and data of how Havering has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Upminster itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upminster, in Havering and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6955

Date accessed: 17th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Upminster ".