In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Horndon like this:
HORNDON (WEST), or WEST THORNDON, a parish in Billericay district, Essex; 2 miles SE of Brentwood r. station. Post town, Brentwood. Acres, 470. Real property, £653. Pop., 94. Houses, 12. Thorndon Park here, was formerly the seat of the Fitzwalters; is now the seat of Lord Petre; and has some good portraits and a Roman Catholic chapel. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Ingrave, in the diocese ofRochester. Value, £347.* Patrons, Representatives of the late Rev. R. A. Johnston. The church is a brick edifice of 1734, with a tower; and has a brass of 1400.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing West Horndon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Brentwood. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering West Horndon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Horndon, in Brentwood and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "West Horndon".