Place:


Rainham  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rainham like this:

RAINHAM, a village and a parish in Romford district, Essex. The village stands on Ingerbury brook, 1¼mile from its influx to the Thames, and on the London and Southend railway, 5 miles E S E of Barking; forms a considerable street; and has a station on the railway, a post-office† under Romford, a bridge over the Ingerbury, and a quay at the brook's mouth. ...


The parish comprises 3, 197 acres of land and 115 of water. Real property, £8,095. Pop., 924. Houses, 172. The property is divided among a few. R. Hall is the seat of Mrs. Irish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £412.* Patron, H. G. Crosse, Esq. The church is old, and has a Norman arch. There are a national school, and charities £10.

Rainham through time

Rainham is now part of Havering district. Click here for graphs and data of how Havering has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rainham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rainham, in Havering and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6866

Date accessed: 18th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rainham ".