Place:


Fletton  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fletton like this:

FLETTON, a parish in the district of Peterborough and county of Huntingdon; on the Great Northern railway, adjacent to the junction with it of several other railways, and at the boundary with Cambridgeshire and Northamptonshire, 1 mile SSE of Peterborough. It has a post office, of the name of New Fletton, under Peterborough. ...


Acres, 780. Real property, £5, 766. Pop. in 1851, 603; in 1861, 1, 449. Houses, 312. The increase of pop. arose from the residence of persons employed by several railway companies. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to Peterborough abbey, and passed to the Flettons and the Probys. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £292.* Patron, Hon. G. W. Fitzwilliam. The church is very good; and there are a British school and charities £49.

Fletton through time

Fletton is now part of Peterborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Peterborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fletton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fletton, in Peterborough and Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/708

Date accessed: 21st February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fletton ".