Place:


Chesterton  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chesterton like this:

CHESTERTON, a parish in the district of Peterborough and county of Huntingdon; on the verge of the county, and on Ermine-street and the river Nen, 2½ miles SE of Castor r. station, and 5½ SW of Peterborough. Post town, Castor, under Peterborough. Acres, 1, 330. Real property, £2, 447. ...


Pop., 129. Houses, 22. The manor belonged to the Bevils, the Drydens, the Piggots, and the Wallers; and belongs now to the Marquis of Huntley. A single-ditched camp is at Castlefield. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Haddon, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £800.* Patron, the Marquis of Huntley. The church is partly Norman, partly early English, in good condition; and has several ancient monuments.

Chesterton through time

Chesterton is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chesterton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chesterton in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7167

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chesterton ".